Far from all customers delve into the specifics of installation, so they don’t wonder whether the profile for a stretch ceiling is better – metal or plastic. The first thing that catches your eye is the price difference. Plastic is much cheaper, but this criterion should not be decisive in creating a reliable and durable construction.
Aluminum baguette – for and against
The installation of stretch ceilings always begins with the fastening of the profile – the basis of the whole structure. The durability of installed ceilings depends on its strength and reliability. Aluminum baguettes are chosen because of their:
• Strength. It would seem that there is no special burden on baguettes, but imagine – suddenly flooding will happen. Bearing frame will have to withstand enormous loads – here is the strength of aluminum and come in handy.
• Durability. Aluminum elements practically do not wear out, they are indifferent to external influences and are not subject to corrosion.
• Appearance. If the profile is visible by design, the aluminum elements will perfectly fit into the interior.
Cons aluminum baguette:
• Great weight.
• The price is higher than that of plastic counterparts.
• Difficult to install on curves. The metal profile does not bend – you have to cut it, violating the integrity of the frame.
Plastic baguette – the pros and cons
What profile for a stretch ceiling is better – PVC or aluminum? Let’s look at the pros and cons of the first option. PVC profiles, appearing later than aluminum, managed to seriously press metal competitors. Their main advantages are:
• Plasticity. These flexible elements easily bend, taking the desired shape. Unlike mounting metal counterparts, you do not need to pre-drill holes for screws.
• Low price. Plastic is cheaper and this is a significant plus when choosing the material of components.
• Low weight. Facilitates delivery and installation process. Less time and resources.
Cons PVC profiles:
• Aesthetically look worse than metallic elements.
• Fragility. Can not withstand high water pressure – if flooding happens.
• May be deformed due to extreme temperatures.